NOTE May 26. 2021: Due to recent updates from Google and/or Microsoft you may need to install Microsoft Remote Desktop 10 from the Google Play Store on fully updated chromebooks. In the Play Store this is just called Remote Desktop - no version number. It still appears as "RD Client" once installed. The app icon and UI look slightly different but the configuration steps are nearly identical.
For some classes you may have been provided information to connect to a computer at school in order to have access to special software.
There are three steps listed here to setup the RD Client app for the first time. After it is installed and configured you will only need to 1.) launch Aruba VIA, connect 2.) Launch RD Client, and connect. If you follow the steps below you should not be prompted for passwords etc. after the first time.
1. Remote Desktop Installation
- Open the Google Play Store
- Scroll down and look for Remote Desktop 8 and click it
- Click Install
2. Connect to the Glenbrook Network
- Connect to school's network with the Aruba VIA app (see Setting up Aruba VIA VPN on Chromebooks for details)
3. Setup RD Client
- Open RD Client from the Launcher
- Accept the Terms
- Click the + button in the top right corner of the screen
- Select Desktop
- Enter the IP address of the computer you have been assigned into "Host name or IP address" and click SAVE
- The first time you setup RD Client it will immediately start connecting
- If prompted with "Certificate can't be verified." select "Never ask again for connections to this PC"
- In the User name field enter your ID number with glenbrook225\ in front of it (ex. glenbrook225\123456)
- Enter your Password
- Check the box to "Store user name and password" to make logging in easier in the future
- You will then see the login screen for Windows
- And then a Desktop
- Always be sure to save your work and Sign out
After setting all of this up you should only have to do two things to use the Windows computer at the other end of the line.
1. Run Aruba VIA and wait for it to Connect
2. Run RD Client and Click on the little "screen" of your computer